4.29.2010

do memories help?

Do memories help hinder or help people in their effort to learn from the past and succeed in the present?


I certainly think memories help you with your effort to learn. It’s like the saying “learn from your mistakes.” Dwelling in the past will never get you anywhere in life but learning from your memories will certainly give you that edge. You know what you’ve learned and you grow by learning it. Remembering what is wrong and right also helps you because you know what to do and not to do to make it perfect.

One time in my life that my memories have helped me was in school. I would almost always make smart remarks back to the teacher and not do what I was told, I blew off my work. As I started getting bad grades in showed me what I was doing was wrong and if I wanted to get anywhere in life I would have to start learning from what I did in the past to help me go forth through the future.

I started doing my homework, listening to the teacher, and researching what I was learning. I wasn’t only fascinated in my grades but in which information I gathered from actually paying attention and doing my homework. One teacher I had in my freshman English class told me I had changed so much (she was also my English teacher for my sophomore year, too). She said I was a better learner and that I put more forth in class towards what we were learning. I also saw that my attitude changed to and I became an overall better and intelligent person just from learning from my memories.

I didn’t just feel better about myself and what I was doing, but I saw things from a different perspective and I liked it. This helped me do much better in school and in life. I realized that slacking was making me a sour person. I now want to do homework and I love learning about different things. My memories helped me get far in my life and in my learning styles and capabilities. Realizing what I was doing wrong and right made me get my act together and actually get on board with what I actually needed to do to become that better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment